Tuesday, April 14, 2015

P1 Reveal - Jake Carter

For this project, my mission was to make a series of cereal boxes that demonstrated various design attributes. Given the parameters that we could only use a limited color palette in addition to text only and no graphics, was a challenge I was willing to accept. These designs needed to be unique to their given attribute in order to stand out, but also cohesive enough to be a part of a series. The attributes I chose were informational, energy, and comfort. 


1.) Informational
For the first box, I wanted it to convey all of the information provided in a neat and orderly fashion. To do that, I created a grid in which I placed various type elements in accordance to one another. This way, all of the text had the same amount of spacing needed to create a unified look. My goal here was to ensure that the consumer could easily identify what it was that was in the box and why they should choose Rice Krispies. The informational aspect is evident in the amount of information listed on the box, but the other way is by means of communicating effectively and clearly to the consumer that information which is just as vital. 







2.) Energy
My second box was designed in ordnance with energy. With that in mind, I wanted to ensure that this box conveyed that to the consumer in both an obvious and subtle way. The most clear way was through color palette I selected which consists of yellow, light green, and a dark teal. In addition to the color, I chose the text placement and treatment as another catalyst for conveying an energetic feel. By creating overlapping text which utilized an opacity, the viewer gets the sense that there are multiple pieces in play, some of which are happening at various times. One can get the sense of vibration and motion through the contrast of the roman and italic text along with the various opacity.  





3.) Comfort
Last, but not least is my third box which is meant to represent comfort.  The reason why I associate this box with comfort is that when first look at the box, it's very non-threatening. The white space acts a means to pull the viewer in and say, "I have nothing to hide." In addition to that, I used a lot of hand-lettering to relate to the consumer by showing that it's a humanistic product and not just one that comes from a factory. By emphasizing the human element, I hope that more people would be drawn to the design. 






All three boxes together



1 comment:

  1. Hi Jake!

    1) Degree of exploration:
    I see a substantial amount of hand-lettering throughout your boxes. Most notably, there is a lot of hand-lettered variety on your comfort box.

    2) Diversity:
    You’ve created a nice, diverse selection of cereal boxes. They all evoke different attributes through their own unique designs.

    3) Alternative or non-traditional hierarchy:
    You’ve really embraced the idea of alternative hierarchy! Instead of using a traditional hierarchy, you’ve focused on making typically small-set type the focal point of your designs. This is most notable in your comfort box by your focus on “toasted rice cereal.”

    4) Communicating the attribute:
    I think each of your designs have done a good job communicating the attributes you have listed.

    5) Empathy for the content:
    It definitely doesn’t look like you just slapped blocks of text onto your boxes. It appears you’ve put a lot of thought into how you’ve placed your text components on your design layouts.

    6) Photographic quality:
    Overall, I think you took some really nice photos of your boxes. My favorite is your cropped detail view of the top flap on your informational box.

    7) Use of context in photographs:
    I really like your two context shots with the full breakfast setup for your comfort box. The context helps provide a very warm and homelike feel.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete