Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Henna Gaus P1 Final


My goal to this project was to make my cereal boxes have clear differences between them and use different mediums. Each design was to show a certain attribute and convey feeling.



My first design is completely computer based and evokes refinement. The elements are organized in a very orderly way and the colors are clean, soft and sophisticated.



The second cereal box promotes energy. It has hand-cut lettering, made out of paper towels. It brings a fun and playful touch to it. I used MetaPlus font for the text, as it has a nice and clean appearance to contrast the bulky man-made letters. All the text is overlapped, twisted and angled to bring out the playfulness and energy. I chose the yellow color to enhance the energy.

My last box is meant to display confidence. I find the Platelet font to be very unique, funky and bold, creating a confident feel. I printed the text and cut it in parts and took photos of it.  I like the overlapping elements and the 3-dimensional feeling they create; they really stand out on their own. I also think that pink is a confident color. I also choose this box as the proposed final design as it is fresh and interesting.



REFINEMENT




ENERGY



CONFIDENCE







1 comment:

  1. degree of exploration in "non-computer" form generation: Henna, I think yours stand out as some of the most successful "non-computer" variations of cereal box designs in our class. I love that you experimented with cut paper and photographs but really took it outside of the box by implementing paper towels (who woulda guessed it??) and watercolor. Over all I think the ones made from handmade materials are your most successful out of the bunch.

    range of solutions—diversity: I truly think that you have a great range of diversity among your boxes and think you capture your empathies nicely. Each box really has its own feel, complimented with difference color schemes and mediums.

    embraces the idea of alternative or non-traditional hierarchy: While I think you did an okay job of implementing nontraditional hierarchy, I think you were most successful utilizing it in the handmade boxes than the one with type, but overall, yes. You explored the alternative well!

    degree to which the visual design visualizes the attribute: I think overall you did a nice job of capturing the attributes in your design, but I feel that the yellow paper towel box evokes more "comfort" than "energy". You're final box though--spot on!

    empathy for the content. the text: This is where I think you really succeeded. You seem to have been very intentional about where you put your text and it works!

    photographic quality—color balance, composition, cropping, focus: Your photos are nice but overall feel very vertical and centered. I think it would have been nice to see some more angled and "weird" shots to mirror the scattered and chaotic text in your boxes. Your focus is nice though and I think your close-up shots are strong and necessary.

    use of context in photographs: I think you could've explored a little more as far as context goes--but so could everybody. Out of the context you did have, however, the first shots are my favorite and I appreciate the time you put in to give them a symmetrical quality. And the baby hands! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete